Teenagers are lazy, and young children are irrepressible balls of energy. That’s common knowledge, right?
Well, probably not.
A recent study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine spent 8 years finding out exactly when in childhood exercise starts to decline – and they discovered it was much earlier than expected. Exercise levels began to decrease from as young as 7 years old. The time that they used to spend exercising was spent sitting down instead. A report from Cancer Research stated that one in three children are overweight or obese by time they leave primary school.
So what can you do to maintain and improve your young child’s exercise levels?
Without a doubt, the most important method is to get them outdoors and moving as much as possible. If you don’t live within reasonable distance of a park, or you worry for your children’s health and safety on a dirty, badly maintained public Climbing Frame, then perhaps you should look at buying one for your garden. Our Climbing Frames are suitable for 1 – 3 years old, 3 – 10 years or 3 – 14 years depending on the product, which covers that dangerous period of activity slump.
Climbing frames work and strengthen many more muscles than merely running around does. Monkey bars, for example, work biceps and abdominal muscles, and test grip strength, forearms and shoulders in unusual ways. Over half of our Climbing Frames come with monkey bars, and you can even buy them separately. Moving a swing back and forth uses arm, leg and stomach muscles, and over three quarters of our climbing frames offer those.
Unlike the unknown climbing frames sat in public parks, when you buy a Dunster House Climbing Frame you can be confident that it is safe for your child to play on.
• All of our Climbing Frames are tested to European safety standard EN71 and are pressure treated for longevity and protection against rot.
• Our swings have sturdy ropes rather than chains. There is no chance of small fingers getting in between.
• All nuts and bolts are covered with round plastic safety caps.
• You don’t need to worry about enthusiastic swinging making the climbing frame shift, since we include long ground anchors made of galvanised steel to hold it securely in place.
• Our climbing stones are made from professional quality material so they won’t crack in winter. Unlike the moulded plastic used by some competitors.
• We use clamp style swing hooks which wrap around the timber rather than drilling through it. This means that our timber will last longer, rather than weakening with every swing. It also means that you can remove the swings or swap them for any of our extra swings.
• Our swing seats and slides are made from single pieces of thick moulded plastic. They are stronger and more durable than multi-jointed swings and slides, and more comfortable.
For information on our Climbing Frames, check out our website or call us on 01234 272 445. Alternatively, if you would prefer we call you, fill in our ‘Contact us’ page. We will get back to you. As always, feel free to ask any questions in the comments section below.