Building your own log store is a great chance to showcase your DIY skills or put your expertise to the test. The outcome will definitely be worthwhile! You will not only be protecting your logs from the weather over winter, you’ll also be saving yourself quite a few pounds when the dreaded heating bill arrives.The instructions below are for our 1.2m x 1.3m x 0.7m small log store.
Let’s go over a few details first of all, to get everything organised before you start building.
Before you start:
- • Always pre- drill all holes to avoid splitting the timber
• Make sure you have everything you need close at hand. For our product, this would be pieces of timber, pressure treated posts and panels, plus our fixing pack, including screws, nuts, bolts and washers.
• Make sure the surface is flat and stable before building your log store. If the surface is uneven, level it off first.
Here’s how to build your own log store:
1. Place your log store base on the ground. Preferably where you want it to stand so that you won’t have to move it around.
2. Attach one brace support to each of the back legs of the log store using two 50mm screws.
3. Put the three horizontal braces on the back of the vertical brace support, evenly distributed along its length using two 35mm screws, one at each end of the brace.
4. Place the side panels on your log store. Make sure the inner face is placed on the inside of the log store and that it has the flat board at the bottom. See image below, left.
5. Screw panels into the post using four 50mm screws per pane, as shown above, right.
6. Place the roof on the top of the log store and screw the roof into the corner posts using four 80mm screws.
And you’re done! Fill your log store with firewood, leaving gaps where you can, to allow good airflow and make sure you place it into an area where it gets good ventilation.
Be sure not to overfill it and don’t cover it. You want to maximise ventilation and airflow, so that the logs will have the opportunity to dry out and lower their moisture content.
What you’ll need:
• 1 hammer
• Protective gloves
• 17mm wrench